EXPLORE ALL MATRIMONIAL ATTORNEYS THAT MEET YOUR CRITERIA
This is part of my series on What To Do When You First Need To See A Matrimonial Attorney Before seeking interviews with matrimonial attorneys, you should do your research and read bios on the law firms and the individual attorneys that you would potentially be hiring to represent you during your matrimonial litigation. In compiling a list of attributes you would like your matrimonial attorney to have, you need to think about what kind of lawyer you are looking for and then pair him or her up with your needs before ultimately scheduling an appointment to interview these attorneys. Here are some criteria that you may find important in your selection process:
- The gender of the attorney you are seeking may be an important issue for you. You may feel that you need a female or a male to represent you.
- You need to think about whether or not you want to or may have to fight your case through to the end, thus requiring an aggressive attorney.
- You might want to settle your case amicably and in a reasonable fashion and thus would like an attorney to compliment those views.
- You also need to think about the location of the attorney because you may have to meet with them from time to time after you begin representation with them.
- You also need to think about the hourly rate of the attorney who will be working with you and if, in fact, you are interviewing a partner in the firm, you need to know if an associate will be assigned to do the lion's share of the work, generally at a reduced hourly rate. You will also need to review your finances to see what type of attorney you can afford. Different attorneys require different retainers to be paid initially. This usually depends on the experience of the attorney, his or her reputation, the going hourly rate in the area, etc. You will have to find an attorney who fits your financial abilities and goals.